If you have been following the fatBuzz blog or keeping up-to-date with us on Facebook and Twitter, you will have no doubt noticed that there has been a lot of discussion recently around Internet safety and the increasing prevalence of underage social media use.
So, for Social Media Podcast 51, we decided to take it one step further and find out what education professionals think of social media and discover what exactly is being done to teach social media in Scottish schools.
fatBuzz's Derek Howie and Malcolm White visited EdICT Training's offices to discuss this contentious issue with Miriam Duffin, Pre-12 Contract Manager at EdICT Training, Laura McLean, headteacher of St Timothy's Primary School and John McGuirk, depute headteacher of St Timothy's Primary School.
Podcast No. 51 is packed with in-depth, informative conversation -and although it's an unusual line-up - there's the normal banter and light hearted fun you've come to expect when the Social Media Podcast team get together.
We discuss a whole range of issues related to social media, education, and Internet privacy, including:
- Privacy - Are children aware of online privacy?
- Age Limit - What age should children be allowed to use social media? Are children putting themselves at risk by pretending they are older online?
- Education, education, education - Should social media be taught as a core module as part of our curriculum?
- Schools are teaching about the dangers of social media - but is there enough focus on how powerful social media can be?
- Is it time for a change of direction? Focus on the positives on social media rather than the negatives?
- Who should be teaching social media? Should it primarily be teachers or parents?
- Listen - Do we need to listen to children's opinions more?
- 'Digital native' - Is this commonly used term a myth?
- Cyber bullying - is it a serious problem?
- Does social interaction limit personal interaction?
During the podcast, Laura asked if we would be willing to record a podcast with the St Timothy's Primary School pupils to discuss social media and shared learning, so watch out, that just might be Social Media Podcast 52!
This is a very informative podcast well worth listening to if you have young children or relatives, or simply if you are interested in social media and Internet safety.
We hope you enjoy the podcast. If you have any comments to make or topics you would like us to discuss in the future, please leave them here on the blog, or on our Facebook Page.
We hope you enjoy the podcast, if you have any comments to make or topics you would like us to discuss please leave them here on the blog or on our Facebook Page.
Play the podcast here:
Play the podcast here:
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE US TO TALK ABOUT?
If there is a specific topic you would like us to cover in a future podcast please let us know. You can email email@example.com or send us a message on Twitter @MediaPodcast or, you can post it as a comment on the Social Media Podcast Facebook page.
If you have found this post interesting please share it with your on-line community using either the Twitter, Facebook and Share buttons below. Thank You.